[fpc-pascal] Re: Embarcadero/CodeGear officialy interested in Firebird and on native versions of Delphi for other operating systems ...

Prince Riley wmarketing3 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 04:51:56 CET 2008

Bee --

You make a very excellent point in your post and one that I think doesn't
get repeated loudly enough into the ears of the Embarcadero folks. Maybe its
time for an open letter posted to
these kinds of lists and sending their president a e-mail with the link to
read the comments for himself.

Market presence, that elusive and ill-defined Holy Grail that Borland
chased, is now luring these folks into trying to be too many things to too
many people. But what we as developers with the FPC and Lazarus must do more
of and be keen about is promoting the benefits you describe and
coding projects that will make the case less a matter of loyalty and more a
matter of results.

The mobile/embedded market is the place every software tool company wants to
be right now. It's very difficult to get Embaradero to take their eyes off
the .NET market since they have decided to
sell $900 development tool sets.

We have to be smarter than they are and keep pushing the language toward
these new applications.

Prince