[fpc-pascal] Porting discussion

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Mon Dec 8 10:50:25 CET 2008

In our previous episode, Rainer Stratmann said:
> To increaase compatibility to Linux it would be great if it is possible to
> create a keyword which it makes possible to include C-headers and then do
> automatically the binding stuff.
>
> That means that fpc woul be able to parse C-code (headers).
>
> If that is possible.

Not, or at least not enough to be robust. A lot of C headers is based on
(macro,define) substitution, IOW it needs context of use to obtain the full
meaning.

This is also why the header conversion tool only works to a certain degree.
If headers are reasonably clean it can work ok. If you have hundreds of
macros and special constructs it needs manual work. (for which I can't
imagine a solution, even in theory).