[fpc-pascal] Re: Porting linux to pascal, would it be possible ?

Guillermo Martínez Jiménez gmjimen at burdjia.com
Sat Dec 6 01:59:26 CET 2008

> Are you sure?

Yes, I am.

> doesn't older MacOS's versions where written in Object Pascal?

Yes, it does, but as I said I think it wasn't the better options.

> I think the problem here (again) is not the language, it's the critical mass of users of the language. Using C for Linux was a good bet, not because the language is good (Pascal is way better for me), but because C has a wider user base who can fix/add features.

I disagree.  C is better for write operating systems *by definition*:
C was created to write UNIX, Pascal was created to learn good
programming techniques.  C is low/mid-level language, Pascal is
high-level (and Object Pascal is even higher):  OS are the lowest
software level.

I'm not saying it's impossible:  here you have MacOS and Toro. I'm
just saying that _I think_ it isn't the best option.  Of course a
better option is to write the kernel in C and Assembler and the
utilities in Pascal and Object Pascal.

Guillermo "Ñuño" Martínez