[fpc-pascal] Porting linux to pascal, would it be, possible ?

Ingemar Ragnemalm ingemar at ragnemalm.se
Fri Dec 5 13:18:58 CET 2008

"Skybuck Flying" <skybuck2000 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> An open source pascal operating system could be cool.
>
> Would translating/porting linux to pascal be possible ?

Absolutely. Most of Unix is plain C, which translates well to Pascal.
C++ is harder, of course.

"Gerard N/A" <gerardusmercator at gmail.com> wrote:

> As with many things, it only depends of the time you have. But as you grow older you get a different idea of life expectancy and
> the use of your remaing time.

This is an argument only after considering the time versus the goal. Is
the goal worth the time?

An operating system based on FPC code would be one way to give FPC more
(well deserved) attention, one way to make a wider range of people know
that the language is not dead, but significantly updated and a stronger
alternative than most people think.

But it is the best way? An OS kernel is not the most visible source code
that makes a lot of people gather to have a look. Showing off the
technology can be done in more time-efficient ways.

Another goal is to make a better OS. FPC programs use less memory and
starts faster. That can be a good thing. Would it be significant? I'm
not sure.

You are perfectly right in that we must choose our battles and spend our
time on things that are worth the time. I don't rule out that this could
be one. "Porting Linux" doesn't have to imply that every little program
is ported.

/Ingemar