[fpc-pascal] GetAppConfigDir but for temp data?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 07:04:34 CET 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 7:54 PM, Mattias Gärtner
<nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:

> notepad.exe has problems with non windows line ends.

Yes I know, but that's besides the point. Windows has ShellExecute
which handle the file association for you. Linux doesn't.

>> Under linux, how do you know the users
>> favorite text editor?
>
> To show a readme.txt you don't need to open the favorite text editor.
> A browser could do the same.

That just moves the issue to another application. How do you know the
users favorite browser. eg: When I use Gnome apps like Nautilus, it
opens my favorite browser Firefox. When I use a KDE application inside
Gnome, it uses Konqueror.  When I use Midnight Commander (text based
file manager) inside  a terminal window and press enter on a HTML
file, it also opens Konqueror.

These are all inconsistencies, which they need to resolve for desktop
apps to truly take off in the Linux environment.

Regards,
  - Graeme -