[fpc-pascal] Mac OS X api cals

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu Aug 28 20:09:47 CEST 2008

On 28 Aug 2008, at 09:26, Paul wrote:

> That would be almost impossible: a session is running with 8 https
> clients communicating to the server.
> The server has to have certificate that can be checked continuously
> at the certificate authority.
> It's a complete different model than all existing software and is
> mainly used by large enterprise clients.
> Some need a very high secutity level (banks) and we even need to
> write special servers for them.
> Believe me: they won't take VNC for an answer.

I really don't see the problem. Your client software would obviously
be doing all the certificate checking and the customers don't have to
know whether it's vnc or your proprietary protocol underneath. There
are simply two separate things:
a) software to let a remote user control a local computer
b) secure transmission and authentication of the commands etc between
the server and the local computer

Now,
a) can be done with vnc
b) can be done by tunneling the vnc data stream over as many https
connections as you want, which are authenticated as often and wherever
you want, using your client software. I.e., the client software can
simply be a secure proxy for a vnc data stream (breaking it up and
sending different kinds of packets over different https connections or
whatever).

Of course, if you need to be able to do things that the vnc protocol
itself does not support, that would be another matter (but I haven't
seen that being mentioned).

Jonas