[fpc-pascal] Unit/library for writing data structures to files

Francisco Reyes lists at stringsutils.com
Sun Aug 10 05:19:10 CEST 2008

I looked through the contributed units in the http://freepascal.org site and
did not see anything that could take an array or some other data structure
and write it to disk. Also the library would need to do the opposite, read
from disk into a data structure.

I figure before I try and re-invent the wheel I would ask if there is any
good libraries/unit(s) like that already. Perhaps something simmilar to what
Python has on it's Picle library.

Is the Objects unit what I am looking for?
In this url
http://coleweb.dc.fi.udc.es/docencia/edi/freepascal/doc/user/node10.html

I foud this description.

objects
This unit provides the base object for standard Turbo Pascal objects. It
also implements File and Memory stream objects, as well as sorted and
non-sorted collections, and string streams.

>> File and Memory stream objects

The application I am trying to do is a database.
I want to try some concepts for doing Analytics/OLAP work and performance
will be a concern so I figure FPC would be a good tool for the job.

>From reading this URL
http://www.learn-programming.za.net/programming_pascal_learn11.html

I see one can write records to a file. Would that be a feasible approach?