[fpc-pascal] pascal on macbook

Damien Gerard milipili at shikami.org
Sun Apr 27 01:03:41 CEST 2008

Le Apr 25, 2008 à 4:10 PM, George R Smith a écrit :

> Felipe,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
>> Do you have a Intel or PowerPC machine? And what kind of software
>> do you
>> wish to develop?
>
> I have not purchased the machine yet, looking at the MacBook with 4
> meg of
> memory. I do not want to buy a laptop that runs Microsoft, trying to
> get
> away from them.
>
> I am a developer and have two Solaris boxes and two windows boxes,
> this
> machine is just for my own enjoyment. I would like to program
> "personal"
> stuff while watching TV.
>
> Just want to make sure I can use Java or Pascal (prefer Pascal)
> before I
> spend the 2,000 plus dollars.

For java, this should be familiar to you :
http://developer.apple.com/java/

For Pascal, it seems that the terminal is already a closed friend and
fpc works very well under Darwin.
Vim/Emacs are enough to make programs using fpc.
If you need an IDE, Lazarus (with the Carbon Interface) for OS X
becomes to be good for working with it (and native Cocoa bindings are
on the way)
Moreover, with a MacBook, you can use VMWare for emulating a Linux,
SunOS (x86) or even Windows.

It is a delight for Cross-platform programs.