[fpc-pascal] Re: fpc - Mac

Richard Ward roward at mac.com
Sat Apr 26 17:28:26 CEST 2008

 >> I have not purchased the machine yet, looking at the MacBook with
4 meg of memory. ....

 >>Just want to make sure I can use Java or Pascal (prefer Pascal)
before I spend the 2,000 plus dollars.

Just to follow up a bit more.   The Mac IDE from Ingemar will run on
Core Duo and PPC processors.   There were some issues other people
had on OS 10.5 (Leopard) but he released a fix or work around for
that.   Although the main information page at the site link I
provided says it has limited support for JAVA, later updates have
stated that it  has full support.   It appears to have good support
for C as well.   I have not used anything but Pascal in that IDE so I
can't provide personal experiences with those languages.  no matter
if you decide to use x-code or LW - IDE, you should be able to use
Free Pascal or GPC without much problem (besides the complexity of
using x-code itself).  Basically, Apple bundles x-code and their
Cocoa and Carbon development libraries for free with the OS.

I am curious as to the mac configuration you seem to imply above.
Most Macs come standard with 1-2 GB's memory with the latter being
comfortable for almost all non professional duty media content
development purposes.  $2,000+ will get you an entry model of the
high end MacBook Pro line  while $2,000- will get you a top end model
of the low end MacBook line.   Getting the memory up to 4GB might not
be an option o n the low end line while expensive (Apple charges a
lot for memory) for the high end line.  The Pro line has 15-17 inchs
creens while the low end line has 13 inch screens.  Have connections
for external monitors.   And although the new thin line of MacBooks
are THIN, they area bit hobbled for the premium you pay in my opinion.

Here is a link to Apple's refurbished deals.   They come directly
from Apple and have full warrantee.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/
RSLID?sf=wHF2F2PHCCCX72KDY&nclm=CertifiedMac&mco=MTE3NjY

-Richard Ward