[fpc-pascal] Trim db-fieldnames, or not?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Apr 19 22:08:21 CEST 2008

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008, Joost van der Sluis wrote:

> Op vrijdag 18-04-2008 om 22:06 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Michael Van
> Canneyt:
> >
> > On Fri, 18 Apr 2008, Joost van der Sluis wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > In several places you can specify a list of fieldnames, seperated by
> > > semicolons. For example: 'field1;field2'. Question is: should this be
> > > allowed: 'field1; field2'? Or should a "Field not found: ' field2'"
> > > exception occur? (Note the space)
> > >
> > > Ie: should I add a trim(fieldname) to the code, or not? What do you guys
> > > think?
> >
> > IMHO, no trimming should be added, because databases can have fields
> > with spaces. Weird, but true.
>
> Not at the begin or end, I hope?

Even there:

home: >fisql /home/firebird/contacts.fb
Database:  /home/firebird/contacts.fb
SQL> create table test ("my field " int);
SQL> show table test;
my field                        INTEGER Nullable
SQL> alter table test add " another field" int;
SQL> show table test;
my field                        INTEGER Nullable
 another field                  INTEGER Nullable
SQL> show table test;
my field                        INTEGER Nullable
 another field                  INTEGER Nullable
SQL> select " another field" from test;

 another field
==============
        <null>

SQL> select "another field" from test;
Statement failed, SQLCODE = -206
Dynamic SQL Error
-SQL error code = -206
-Column unknown
-another field
-At line 1, column 24

Try and find where your query goes wrong :)

Michael.