[fpc-pascal] The reason why linus torvalds hate-pascal

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Tue Apr 15 10:04:43 CEST 2008

Op dinsdag 15-04-2008 om 10:18 uur [tijdzone +0300], schreef ik:
> Hi,
>
> I have read in the Linux Kernel malling list some emails, and I found
> some points made by Linus Torvalds about Pasca;
>
> http://idkn.wordpress.com/2008/04/15/the-reason-why-linus-torvalds-hate-pascal/

Your statement in the blog-posting is not entirely true. What Linus does
in this thread is arguing why goto's could be meaningfull sometimes.
Apparently he thinks that the idea that goto's are evil in all cases
comes from Nikolaus Wirth. To prove that he (Wirth) was wrong, he points
at some weaknesses of the language that Wirth had developed. And that
was indeed this old pascal version. This language didn't had any goto's
but that didn't make it more readable. It would even be more readable if
it had support for goto. (That's Linus statement)

Linus also put (traditional) before pascal, just to make this clear. So
I don't see this as a 'rant on pascal', but just arguing with some
examples of older languages that goto's could be good in some cases.

Joost.