[fpc-pascal] Looking for a Firebird book?

Inoussa OUEDRAOGO inoussa12 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 13:26:36 CEST 2008

2008/4/11, Matt Emson <memsom at interalpha.co.uk>:
> Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>
> > And it is exactly why I can't use MySQL, MSSQL: they don't have sequences
> or
> > generators. I need the ID  BEFORE I insert the record, not after.
> >

>  YES!! This is also missing from SQL Server... or at least, using a GUID is
> complete overkill. The mechanisms SQL Server has for retrieving the last
> interted identity value are completely unsane too. Yes, they do work, but
> things get tricky in real world situations. I have no idea how anyone wrote
> reliable code to insert a record and retern the IDENTITY value prior to SQL
> Server 2005.
>
>  OT: does anyone know of a reliable generator style "atomic" robust multi
> user friendly auto IDENTITY generation mechanism for SQL Server? I'd love to
> be able to define one, but I don't think I have seen one yet that *really*
> works well.

Have you try SCOPE_IDENTITY() ? Available at least since SQL SERVER 2000.
I have used it with success.

from MSDN :
<quote>
  Returns the last identity value inserted into an identity column in
  the same scope. A scope is a module: a stored procedure, trigger,
  function, or batch. Therefore, two statements are in the same scope
  if they are in the same stored procedure, function, or batch.
</quote>

Interesting article ( 10 Things You Shouldn't Do with SQL Server ) :
  http://www.sqljunkies.ddj.com/Article/92CC4817-604D-4344-8BE0-4490F8ED24B6.scuk

--
Inoussa O.