[fpc-pascal] Looking for a Firebird book?

Matt Emson memsom at interalpha.co.uk
Wed Apr 9 11:03:51 CEST 2008

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> ... At the moment we simply hard-code a firebird
> username and password in the application to create the connection,
> then access our own 'users' table to manage access to our application.
> Is that how everybody else does it with Firebird?

Yes. I've seen that in a number of IB/FB apps. It is fairly common. But,
also common to create a non SYSDBA user too for that purpose. Be careful
about grants.. if you have two users, IB and FB management tools tend to
grant for that specific user by default. If someone logs on as SYSDBA,
I've seen mad things where people have made random grants for various
users because of this.

The EMS tools are pretty cool. We used to use their manager, forget what
it is called now. I did use Marathon for a while, but it was quite buggy
and unstable.