[fpc-pascal] Why I?m choosing (Object) Pascal

Matt Emson memsom at interalpha.co.uk
Tue Apr 8 00:48:21 CEST 2008

On 7 Apr 2008, at 20:07, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, Ingemar Ragnemalm wrote:
>
> Linux works (I did the port myself) but is still a bit rough on the
> deployment side, so they don't include it officially yet.
> And if linux works, the other platforms should work also (I took care
> of that during porting).

It looks very expensive still. $995 is a lot of money when compared to
other frameworks (RAILS come to mind, and ASP.NET via Mono.) You also
have to look at things like OpenLaszlo and Adobe Flex. If I was
writing a RIA, Flex is the route I would take (passable IDE, nice
enough language, very Powerful), runs on 90%+ of Intel based operating
systems, including Mac OS X, LINUX and Windows. Also runs on many
mobile phones and PDA's - N800/N810 (via full plugin), N series
Symbian based phones and many others (via Flash Lite 3.0.) If you
forgo the IDE, Flex is completely free.