[fpc-pascal] Re: Why this evaluates on "if" wrong ?

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Mon Oct 29 16:17:47 CET 2007

Op Mon, 29 Oct 2007, schreef L:

> Same as ansistring.. it can be dangerous to hide all the intricate details of a
> pchar/bytearray, which is what ansistring does. But ansistrings are really
> useful for 'every day' use.

Wrong. A string can be represented "alphadequate", as it is called; an
ansistring can handle any string you can imagine supposed there is enough
memory available.

An adequate or alphadequate representation of a real number cannot exists.
Regardless what datastructure you use, there always exists a real number
that cannot be represented by it.

> My point mainly was that we have high level types like ansistrings, so why not
> have good decimal type that acts just like a calculator. Could be called
> 'TCasio'. Don't call it that, I'm kidding on the type name.

Feel free to make a proposal.

Daniël