[fpc-pascal] FPC and JAVA

Matt Emson memsom at interalpha.co.uk
Fri Oct 26 12:48:02 CEST 2007

Krishna wrote:
> On 10/26/07, Matt Emson <memsom at interalpha.co.uk> wrote:
>
> We are talking about Symbian OS here. For linux and windows mobile
> devices, I understand you can use FPC directly, right?

Sorry, you said Winemulator. I read "windows emulator" not "emulator for
windows". My bad.
>> As for the FPC compiler targeting CLR.. It could be done. But why would
>> you need to? Use Chrome instead. Why reinvent the wheel. I see no
>> advantage in porting Legacy Pascal code to a new disparate platform.
>> Especially when said platform does things a lot more pleasurably.
>>

> Legacy Pascal? Din't generics get added in the last release? Anyways,
> I'm not asking for a CLR/JVM port. FPC already generates code for the
> target (here, ARM) it is only the OS interface that we are talking
> about.
All native Object Pascal is legacy code for me. I haven't used Pascal in
a new project for .. um.. 3 + years. Last job I maintained a Delphi app,
but all new dev was in DotNet. I don't see going back to Delphi as an
option, ever. I keep on this list because I have ~15 years of Object
Pascal legacy code under my belt and I still really like Pascal. I want
to use it, but it's just not possible at the moment. Things might change
soon, I'm entering the world of MacOS X soon. Though MONO is on the
MacOS X platform, so I might not even then.

Does FPC support the flavour of Linux on the N800? That might also be
something I'd like to look at.