[fpc-pascal] Problems with Lazarus documentatin using FPDoc and LazDE

Chris Kirkpatrick chris.kirkpatrick at doctors.org.uk
Wed Oct 17 15:40:08 CEST 2007

I am trying to create documentation for Lazarus lcl, by providing XML
files suitable for  input to FPDoc

I have looked at some of the HTML output of Controls and Forms (following
the changes to links made by Vincent Snijders), and find that they are not
pointing to the page I expected.

For example, a link from 'Controls.TCustomControl.Canvas' to
'Graphics.TCanvas' causes the Index page of 'Graphics' to be loaded,
rather than the description of TCanvas. On the other hand, the hyperlink
from the type-specification 'TCanvas' in the property definition points
correctly to the page where TCanvas is described

I believe that links to any identifier within the LCL need only contain
the name of the identifier, without the path to the unit where they are
defined; it is only when the link points to something in the RTL or FCL
that we should have to specify a more extended path (such as
#rtl.sysutils.  etc).

I may of course be wrong, and the FPDoc manual suggests that the Unit
name must be inserted, but this seems to produce the undesired effect I
mentioned above - ie the hyperink takes us to the Index page for the
Unit. I would welcome any advice about how best to achieve the links
that I desire.

Vincent reports that when I omit the Unit prefix from the link, he gets
reports from FPDoc such as:

> Warning: Target ID of <link> is unknown: "TFormStyle"
> Warning: Target ID of <link> is unknown: "TMainMenu"
> Warning: Target ID of <link> is unknown: "TCustomControl"
> Warning: Target ID of <link> is unknown: "TWinControl"
> Warning: Target ID of <link> is unknown: "TControl"

Regards - Chris