[fpc-pascal] Faster fannkuch?

S. Fisher expandafter at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 7 21:55:45 CET 2007

--- Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org> wrote:

> S. Fisher schrieb:
> > This is faster than the one at the shootout

(shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=fannkuch&lang=fpascal&id=3)
> > on my computer.  See if it's faster on yours.
>
> Indeed, just submit it.

There's a slight problem.  I already submitted it and was told
that it was slower.  (Actually, the source was a tad different ---
low(ary) instead of 0 --- but the executables are identical.)

After the original message was posted, I noticed that the shootout
site had accepted it even though it was deemed slower.

It seems strange that this is slower on the shootout's computer
when it's faster both on my slow laptop and the 3GHz computer
at work.

Under windoze, I've found that programs take longer to run the
first time they are executed after recompilation.  Is Linux the
same way?

So the shootout site shows this as slightly slower than the
previous Pascal program.  Maybe this will change when the
programs are tested again or when the site's owners get a
new computer.