[fpc-pascal] libsndfile library

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Mon May 7 15:52:53 CEST 2007

> >> /usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1.0.12
> >> /usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1
> >
> > Your Linux system is not properly configured for libsndfile development.

> neither for other kind of develpment libraries (ncurses, sqlite, etc,
> etc) indeed.
> Each time I try something that needs a link to a library I have to spend
> my weekends trying to fild what is missing... :-(

How this is handled is distro specific. I suggest you read the docs for your
distribution to see how it is done.

> Ok, I'll try that, thanks. But the same problem could happen in other
> PCs where my program could be deployed...

Yes and no.

No: It will probably add a dependancy to libsndfile.so.1  (not .so
or .so.1.0.12). And that is installed.

Yes: the library must be present, and  under that name, and there is no
guarantee. But that at least will be ok for Ubuntu.

The only way around it is to enter the complex package building and add a
dependancy on the file, a system that varies from distro to distro, unix
variant to unix variant (iow, to package your app as a package for each
(family of) distribution(s)).

> So I turn back to the inital question: there is a more affordable way to
> play a sound file on a Linux Machine?

No. This is a general library and packaging problematic. No library is 100%
guaranteed on Linux, even glibc can be replaced by some embedded variant.