[fpc-pascal] GTK2 Lazarus Project, but I want QT.

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 19:19:10 CEST 2007

On 6/24/07, Catalin Zamfir Alexandru <catalin.zamfir at theg33ks.com> wrote:
> Great. I've recompiled KCalculator for Qt and the menu bug is gone. Although,
> we have some more problems, that I'll enumerate here and hope that this
> feedback helps you guys fix them:

I would say this is the perfect oportunity if you wish to help lazarus
=) Those bugs aren't too hard to solve. They will consume some time,
but Qt is easy to use, and this helps a lot.

I think I eliminated the worse show-stopper bugs already, and that was
my objective. The remaining are mostly cosmetics.

If you wish to try for yourself read the hints bellow. If not, post
bug reports on the bug tracker. I will put them somewhere on my ToDo
list, but be warned that this list is imense.

By the way, you should be aware that there is a mailling list
dedicated only to Lazarus-Qt:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Qt_Interface#Mailling_List

> 1. The menu icons don't show. In GTK2, custom [a.k.a. inserted by me .ico
> files] submenu icons show on every entry, but in the Qt version submenu icons
> don't show at all. Don't know if that's the same with menu icons, but still.

This shouldn't be hard to implement. First write a simple pascal qt
application without lcl that creates a main window, a menu and adds a
icon to the menu to understand how to do that with Qt.

Next go to the lcl qt interface, locate where the menus are
implemented and see where this feature should be implemented.

> 2. The menu is higher than the normal Qt menus in all my KDE/Qt-based
> software. I'm comparing the menu from KMail with the one from Qt-KCalculator
> and KCalculator's menu is higher. The GTK2 Menu keeps the normal proportions
> as all the other apps on my system, due to the fact that I have a
> compatibility engine between GTK and KDE so as to make GTK2 look like QT. But
> that's not the problem. The problem is that generated Lazarus programs based
> on the Qt interface have higher menus [a few pixels more] than what it should
> be.

I have no idea about this one. Generate a simple pascal qt application
without lcl and see if the problem is there too.

> 3. It doesn't respect the Font I use system-wide. I use Tahoma 8 system-wide
> and all my QT-KDE/GTK applications respect this rule, but Qt-KCalculator
> doesn't respect the rule, while GTK-KCalculator respects it.

I don't know about this one too. AFAIK lcl qt won't try to force any
fonts, it should just use the default system ones.

Again, write a pascal qt app without lcl and see if this also happens
on this application. If yes, read qt docs and find out how to do what
you want.

bye,
--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho