[fpc-pascal] CheckSynchronize

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Jun 21 20:52:04 CEST 2007

> On 21 jun 2007, at 20:30, Marco van de Voort wrote:
>
> > Currently, I don't see 2.2 being released before september (because of
> > holidays, we are getting awfully close to july).
>
> Afaik everyone who is needed for release building is still available
> in the last week of July.

True, but rushing wouldn't do the release any good IMHO.

> > So,
> >
> > - Maybe we should simply acknowledge that fact, and get that
> > release as good
> >   as possible.
>
> Nobody will dispute that, regardless of when the release is. That's
> also not what the discussion is about. The question is whether it's
> better to risk introducing new unknown bugs by merging those
> particular patches than leaving those known defects in.

As opposed to the risk that heavy users like mside and lazarus start using
snapshots/own rolled releases quickly after a release has been made?

Because that voids the whole release effort.

> > - That also means postponing anything pretty much schedules it for
> > 2008.
> > (3 months between releases would be a record, at least since the
> > 0.99.12c
> > stuff)
>
> Regardless of whether we release in July, August or September, the
> next release will probably be close to 2008 anyway.

Exactly. So postponing a fix for a known problem is pretty serious.