[fpc-pascal] Metaware

Mark Wood mark at timeandmotion.com.au
Tue Jun 19 09:53:04 CEST 2007

>> I have found that there are some functional differences that Metaware has over
>> fpc, one example is the yield() function which returns the intermediate result
>> of a function call.
>>

> ?

'?' indeed! I am fascinated! What does yield do exactly... presumably it
returns a result from the function without closing down that instance of
the function? Amazing concept. I am still trying to work out how that
could be useful or even how it could be used (without breaking stuff
upstream).

There are several preprocessory type contraptions that suit Pascal
directly or could handle it at the least. Why not use one of those to
try adjusting code. We do that sort of stuff a fair bit (although mainly
with code from other -non-pascalian languages). Or how about even
beating the code into a more pascally form using Perl, or even something
as basic as the Boxer text editor? (laborious job though, of course)

Interesting stuff.

By the way, I agree about the merits of converting code from old or
foreign repositories. There is some great code out there and it is
useful to reclaim it by porting it across. We often get unexpected
spinoff stuff out of that process. At the moment we are working on
setting up a website offering most of this stuff back to the community.

Hmmm... if there is anything useful in your work (not the proprietary
code from the developer, I mean in the conversion work) perhaps if you
share that as a project on sourceforge or similar, others will help you
develop the conversion. You would have to work out the benefit though
(be it producing a conversion tool, or a library, or whatever).

Cheers,
    Mark.