[fpc-pascal] FPC's generics

Bisma Jayadi bisma at brawijaya.ac.id
Wed Jun 13 14:04:42 CEST 2007

> I think it is useful, because it allows future language extensions to
> also use the <> syntax without conflicting with generics (e.g., the
> Objective Pascal draft syntax also makes use of angle brackets for a
> couple of things).

Then my second syntax proposal might overcome possible conflict with future or
other <> symbol implementation, since it uses no <> symbol at all, and IMO more
pascalish (less cryptic). :-D

In short, my second syntax proposal is:

- generic definition syntax (type section):
   {type_name} = generic {type_definition} of {generic_holder} ;

- generic implementation syntax (var section):
   {var_name} : specialize {generic_type} for {implemented_type} ;
   or if it's defined in type section:
   {type_name} = specialize {generic_type} for {implemented_type} ;

-Bee-

has Bee.ography at:
http://beeography.wordpress.com