[fpc-pascal] Funny things about utf-8 strings on mac

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Tue Jun 12 11:41:04 CEST 2007

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho schrieb:
> Daniel Mantione wrong some coments on my bug report:
>
> http://www.freepascal.org/mantis/view.php?id=9058
>
> Could someone elaborate on this? I did't really understand
>
> Looks somewhat illogical to me ... so I write a UTF-8 string and need
> a widestring managed? But I am not using widestrings ...

You're. String constants containing chars > 127 are obviously as
widestrings because when you give a code page in the source, you want
another encoding then the system's default i.e. the compiler needs to remap.

> And then it will convert the string to iso??

... or utf-8 ... depending on the setting of the system running the program.

> Where does he get iso
> from??

On windows by default, on unixes by using cwstrings.