[fpc-pascal] installing latest stable

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Mon Jun 11 12:46:37 CEST 2007

On Sun, 2007-06-10 at 13:51 +0000, pineal wrote:
> On Sunday 10 June 2007 10:15, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> > >
> > > I have spent the whole afternoon trying to install fpc. :(
> > >
> > > First I downloaded the .rpm files. The compiler and docs install fine but
> > > the source doesn't install anything and there is no error or warning.
> >
> > The source RPM installs an archive file in /usr/src/packages/SOURCES
> > you must unpack this archive yourself. This is standard behaviour for RPM.
> >

> No it doesn't. That's why I stated the source doesn't install anything. Due to
> the problems I looked in the install script and found a reference to /src
> (which I guessed is appended to the main install dir /usr) and looked there
> too, but nothing is installed. There is no packages directory created.
>
> > > So I tried the same source rpm from a different mirror with the same
> > > result.
> > >
> > > So I removed those, downloaded the new 2.1.4a archive, unpacked it  and
> > > ran the install script (which I had to interrupt and run a second time as
> > > root) which ran without showing an error and yet I still have no source
> > > installed.
> >
> > That is because it does not install the sources. The .tar.gz does not
> > contain the sources: it would more than double the size. The sources
> > are available as a separate download.
> >
> > Michael.
>
> According to the downloads page the .tar is one big file with "everything in 1
> big package", or the other options are .rpm files. There is no tar for just
> the sources.
>
> I did extract the source tar from the source rpm, but I don't know where it
> should be installed. Previously fpcsrc was installed in /usr/share/fpcsrc, if
> that is now different, shouldn't a change such as this be documented?

You're confusing the RPM with the fpc-sources provided by Lazarus.
Normally there's no need for the sources, only Lazarus uses them. So the
Lazarus-team made a RPM with the fpc-sources in /usr/share/fpcsrc. This
rpm are also provided for several distributions, like Fedora.

But those rpm's are not available on the freepascal-website, as they are
not provided by the fpc-team.

Joost.