[fpc-pascal] Master Detail relationship in SQLdb

Martin Schreiber fpmse at bluewin.ch
Sun Jul 15 07:24:11 CEST 2007

On Sunday 15 July 2007 01.10, Joost van der Sluis wrote:

> Can you specify those? Maybe we can work something out.

MSEgui needs an reference counted widestring type on win32 to be as fast as
possible.
Another old wish: GetInterface should work for corba style interfaces (Mantis
6036).

> I have a question about the widestrings. I thought that tmsebufdataset
> handles all strings as widestrings. But I can't find any reference to
> that in the code. It would be silly anyways: from the db-engine you'll
> get 8-bytes based strings. And a ftString fields's .asString method will
> return a normal ansistring. The same holds for your code.

I needed to use my own TField descendants because I can not modify db.pp . See
lib/common/msedb.pas, especially tmsestringfield, TField.GetClassDesc does
not workfor them BTW.
The strings are converted from utf8 or current locale encoding to UCS2 after
fetching the data from database and to utf8 or current locale encoding before
sending data to the database in order the string encoding needs not to be
converted while displaying and editing data in MSEgui.
I can say that this concept and the whole MSEide+MSEgui system turned out to
be very successful in commercial database applications.

Martin