[fpc-pascal] Arm EABI vs OABI [was:DateToStr in arm does not work!]

Bernd Mueller mueller.b at gmx.net
Thu Jul 5 10:45:20 CEST 2007

Luca Olivetti wrote:
> En/na Henry Vermaak ha escrit:
>
>> i urge you to read this:
>>
>> http://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiPort
>> http://www.codesourcery.com/gnu_toolchains/arm/faq.html
>>
>> i haven't completely read it (hence i can't answer your questions that
>> well, sorry).
>
> I'm wondering if my strange problems are due to a badly built compiler
> and/or rtl.
you did not mention a third possibility: the compiler itself has some
serious issues. See the various bug reports in the mantis bug tracker.

> I know for sure that my kernel (that I cannot upgrade at the moment)
> supports OABI and has EABI badly patched in (i.e, it doesn't work 100%),
> everything else should be OABI (debian arm, not armel).
> To build 2.1.4 I used a binary snapshot of 2.1.3
> (ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/fpc/beta/2.1.2/arm-linux/) and did not
> specify any special option while building, so, what convention is my
> compiler/rtl using? Is it possible that it's generating EABI and hitting
> sometimes the special cases that don't work in my kernel? In that case,
> how should I rebuild it in order to generate OABI code?

I guess that fpc does not care about OABI/EABI. The compiler ether
generates fpu opcodes or not (when floating point is used). This depends
on the -CfSOFT option while building the compiler/rtl.

Perhaps one of the developer can confirm or deny this. Thanks.

Regards, Bernd.