[fpc-pascal] FPC in DOS environment

Daniel Franzini daniel.franzini at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 12:17:55 CET 2007

for now, on MS Virtual PC with fpc2.0.5 stable for go32v2, the IDE
does not even get loaded correctly...it displays some info on compiler
and ide version, shows the nice FP screen and then exits quickly...i
will try to recompile from the sources with debug info to see exactly
where it stops (altough i'm no gdb expert)

not sure if this is a problem of freedos or virtual pc buggy DPMI or
some kind of combination of these two

when i get home, i will try on a real machine with freedos and with
real DOS (if i manage to find my diskset)

On 1/16/07, Pierre Muller <pierre at freepascal.org> wrote:
> > i use DOS regularly (right this moment, my 'lab' got messed up by a
> > foreign
> > handand i lost a AT power supply so no old PC running; this will get fixed
> > today)
> >
> > i will do my best to make it up to date and to help Pierre
>

>  The current 2.0 fixes branch should be more
>  stable.
>
>   Could you please try to download and install
> ftp://ftpmaster.freepascal.org/pub/fpc/snapshot/v20/i386-go32v2/fpc-2.0.5dos.zip
>   The file datestamp should be January 15. 2007,
> or later.
>   Let's say that you unpack this into
>   /pas/snp205 directory.
>   he snapshot ppc386 will then be in
>   /pas/snp205/bin/go32v2 directory.
>
>   Unzip the file and test the IDE,
> by compliling and stepping through a simple source.
> (like the ide/test.pas file).
>
>   Please report if this is working OK for you,
> or any problems you might encounter.
>

>   A second step would be to recompile the IDE
>  from the current 2.0.5 sources, with debugger information.
>
>   First download and install
> ftp://ftpmaster.freepascal.org/pub/fpc/snapshot/v20/source/fpcbuild.zip
>   You will also need to download and install the GDB libraries:
> the zip file is:
> ftp://ftpmaster.freepascal.org/pub/fpc/contrib/libgdb/v6.1.1/go32v2-v601.zip
>
>   Unzip all librairies (lib*.a files)
> into \pas\libgdb\go32v2 for example
>
> change to fpcbuild/fpsrc/ide directory
>
>   You need to inform where the GDB librairies are,
>   for this you will need to set GDBLIBDIR variable.
>
> set GDBLIBDIR=/pas/ligdb/go32v2
>   should work for this.
>
>   After this, you will need to recompile several directories
>
>   make -C ../rtl DEBUG=1
>   make -C ../packages/base/graph DEBUG=1
>   make -C ../packages/base/regexpr DEBUG=1
>   make -C ../packages/base/gdbint DEBUG=1
>   make -C ../fv DEBUG=1
>   make clean all DEBUG=1  OPT=-gl
>

>   If everything works fine, you should have at that point a
>   fp.exe file that is about 10Mb in size.
>
>   The problem for me, (I am stick for the moment on a windows 2000
>   computer), is that the IDE tends to crash randomly, but I don't know
>   if it comes from the IDE or from the poor Dos emulation
>   of Windows 2000...
>
>   Tell me if you succeed in compiling this and if
> the generated IDE is usable, or gives you useful information
> when crashing (the -gl option, should create a verbose stack
> on crashes).
>
>   Thanks for trying this out,
>
>   By the way, testers for emx, os/2 or wdosx targets would also
> be most welcomed,
>
> Pierre

Daniel

"Let us change our traditional attitude to the construction of
programs. Instead of imagining that our main task is to instruct a
computer what to do, let us concentrate rather on explaining to human
beings what we want a computer to do." (Donald Knuth)

"Yes, technogeeks can be funny, even if only to each other."
(http://www.boogieonline.com/revolution/science/humor/)"

"Man is driven to create; I know I really love to create things. And
while I'm not good at painting, drawing, or music, I can write
software." (Yukihiro Matsumoto, a.k.a. ``Matz'')