[fpc-pascal] FPC in DOS environment

Daniel Franzini daniel.franzini at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 12:37:09 CET 2007

thanks for the help

On 1/11/07, Daniël Mantione <daniel.mantione at freepascal.org> wrote:

> Well, help is certainly very welcome, but note that more is needed than
> one or two bug fixes. To make it a first platform again someone is needed
> who really uses Dos, so he quickly notes when something is wrong and can
> make some new developments available on the Dos platform.

i use DOS regularly (right this moment, my 'lab' got messed up by a foreign
handand i lost a AT power supply so no old PC running; this will get fixed
today)

i will do my best to make it up to date and to help Pierre

Ok, so it is real DPMI. Since it can run OS/2 I think VPC should be of
> sufficient quality to run a Dos extender but note that many virtual
> machines don't a PC emulate good enough and can be expected to cause some
> trouble here. I'm not saying this is the case here, but you shouldn't
> put limitless trust in your VM either.

well, a  think that the problem is with freedos native dpmi (called
hdpmi)...i will try to use cwsdpmi inseated to run fpc

i forgot to mention that i noticed that the ide has this strange behavior:
it loads, shows up and quickly disappears...no error msg, no crash

for the sake of developing the DOS plataform, which version should i use:
the 2.0.x branch or the new 2.1.x ??

> Yes.

thanks

I suggest to use the internal assembler.

i will do so

You should check the go32 extender documentation wether it supports
> interrupt 26. If yes, the port will be easy, you can just update the code
> using 32 bit registers (i.e. ebp instead of bp).
>
> If not, it is harder: you should allocate real mode memory, copy data to
> real mode and do a real mode interrupt. The go32 contains the procedures
> to do this.

thanks for this info...gotta study the go32 unit and the go32v2 extender
itself

Daniël

Daniel

"Let us change our traditional attitude to the construction of programs.
Instead of imagining that our main task is to instruct a computer what to
do, let us concentrate rather on explaining to human beings what we want a
computer to do." (Donald Knuth)

"Yes, technogeeks can be funny, even if only to each other." (
http://www.boogieonline.com/revolution/science/humor/)"

"Man is driven to create; I know I really love to create things. And while
I'm not good at painting, drawing, or music, I can write software."
(Yukihiro Matsumoto, a.k.a. ``Matz'')