[fpc-pascal] Compile FP IDE with GDB support

Jan Jelowicki jasj at hydra.ar.wroc.pl
Thu Jan 4 16:20:55 CET 2007

Hi to all,

The freepascal IDE included in standard 2.0.4 RPM has no debugger
support. There are also *.tgz binaries in FreePascal repositories,
and they contain GDB-enabled fp executable. Unfortunately, one of
the machines I would like do use for debugging is too old for that
binaries -- it is RedHat 9 with glibc 2.3.2, while precompiled fp
requires at least 2.3.4.

Trying to make FreePascal IDE from 2.0.4 sources I got a message
from the linker:
	LibGDB was not found, IDE has no Debugger support
I have no libgdb.a in my system, and I am afraid that no conforming
package provides it.

	glibc-2.3.2-27.9.7.2.legacy
	gdb-5.3post-0.20021129.18

Yes, I know they are very old but now I cannot upgrade this machine,
it has to work stable with all its software.

I have found this in the archive:
	http://lists.freepascal.org/lists/fpc-pascal/2006-August/011726.html
but no version of libgdb binaries available from ftp.freepascal.org allows
for successfull linking.

How should I obtain or generate libgdb.a in order to make fp IDE with gdb
support?

With regards,
                                                   Jan Je/lowicki