[fpc-pascal] Build FP Ide with GDB support

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Thu Jan 4 16:03:28 CET 2007

Op Thu, 4 Jan 2007, schreef Jan Jelowicki:

> Hi to all,
>
> The freepascal IDE included in standard 2.0.4 RPM has no debugger
> support.

That is bad... But it will enable you to run the IDE indeed, because
without GDB, the IDE does not use libc.

> There are also *.tgz binaries in FreePascal repositories,
> and they contain GDB-enabled fp executable. Unfortunately, one of
> the machines I would like do use for debugging is too old for that
> binaries -- it is RedHat 9 with glibc 2.3.2, while precompiled fp
> requires at least 2.3.4.
>
> Trying to make FreePascal IDE from 2.0.4 sources I got a message
> from the linker:
> "LibGDB was not found, IDE has no Debugger support".
> I have no libgdb.a in my system, and I am afraid that no conforming
> package provides it.
>
> glibc-2.3.2-27.9.7.2.legacy
> gdb-5.3post-0.20021129.18
>
> Yes, I know they are very old but now I cannot upgrade this machine,
> it has to work stable with all its software.
>
> How should I obtain or generate libgdb.a in order to make fp IDE with gdb support?

It is available on ftp.freepascal.org, but, since the dependency on glibc
is caused by libgdb, this won't help you.

You need to compile gdb yourself, after compilation there will be a
libgdb.a in the gdb source directory. You will also need libiberty.a and
libbfd.a there, which should *not* be on your system already, if they are,
rename them so the compiler cannot find the ones already on your system.

Daniël