[fpc-pascal] dis - Advantages of Pascal

Neil Graham Lerc at Screamingduck.com
Fri Feb 23 08:20:06 CET 2007

Daniƫl Mantione wrote:
> We've got a inline procdir? Or are you referring to macros?

inline has the potential to do the trick but it's harder than something
from a #include based
system because with an include system the compiler actually gets to see
the original code
and can do a lot more.

I do admit it appears I'm a bit behind the times since things have
gotten better since last
I looked.  The docs now say "As of version 2.0.2, inline works accross
units." and
barring the typo that's a great improvement.  Does it actually store
object or source code for
use across units?  Transferring the source across allows optimizations
with the surrounding
code that may not otherwise be possible.

> There exists a Vector Pascal compiler. They basically extend the language
> with features to do vector operations, allowing them to do ground-breaking
> performance. The Vector Pascal extenstions are under our consideration,
> however, we need the infrastructure in the compiler first. Until then,
> take a look at Vector Pascal itself.

I was unaware of Vector pascal.  Googling it is getting me broken links,
not a good sign.

Any idea if it's possible to share units between fpc and vector pascal?