[fpc-pascal] FPC for Scratchbox-ARM (compiling with errors)

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Tue Feb 20 13:14:21 CET 2007

Op Tue, 20 Feb 2007, schreef Jose Pascual:

> /trabajo/temp/pp is a ARM binary. version is 2.0.4
>
> #/trabajo/temp/pp
> Free Pascal Compiler version 2.0.4 [2007/02/19] for arm
> Copyright (c) 1993-2006 by Florian Klaempfl
> .

That is then the problem. You cannot cycle on ARM with a 2.0 compiler.
With recent 2.1 this is possible.

> > A possible solution could be to cycle an i386 compiler first (include
> > debug info with -g in case it'll have the same problem), and use that
> > as bootstrap compiler.
>
> But I'm going to geneate i386 binary compiler and tools so I can't to
> execute in scratchbox.
>
> I think your suggestion is useful to generate precompiled units in i386
> linux, but I'd like to build all fpc
> inside sratchbox using arm binary compiler and tools, a arm
> not-crosscompiling fpc system.

I recommend 2.1 for that, 2.0 is not realiable enough on ARM for that.
Just to be clear: 2.1 needs to be bootstrapped with a 2.0 compiler, so you
need to start with a 2.0, then bootstrap a 2.1 crosscompiler for ARM, and
use that to bootstrap a native ARM compiler.

Daniël