[fpc-pascal] cross compiling enigma

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Fri Dec 7 09:04:15 CET 2007

I'm modifying the lazarus packaging scripts to make building debs of
lazarus, fpc and cross-fpc variants simpler than it is. (Cross is not
simple right now)

I've read the buildfaq (thanks Marco) and various fpc build scripts but
am still puzzled in this respect:

Why does:

$ cd fpc
$make clean all OS_TARGET=win32  FPC=/usr/bin/ppc386

make:
./compiler/ppc386.exe

I thought I was building a cross-compiler, not cross-compiling one - or
is it a side effect of building the rtl etc?

(Not to mention utils/*exe)

also with the ubuntu mingw* packages installed,
$ make clean all OS_TARGET=win32  FPC=/usr/bin/ppc386
BINUTILSPREFIX=i586-mingw32msvc-

generates all these .exe files.

Am I doing the cross-compiler build wrong?
It dumps out: compiler/ppcross386
as well, which was used to build all the .exe

I'm puzzled, it seems like the fpc makefile had the wrong idea and built
a cross compiler so it could build windows binaries which is not what I
was actually trying to do.

Sam