[fpc-pascal] can we have fpc's doc in chm format?

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz
Mon Dec 3 14:46:59 CET 2007

 .
>> > The truly painful experience with the fpc docs is finding a
>> > class/procedure that is
>> > performing a certain function and that you haven't used before and
>> > that you are not
>> > even sure it exists .  The functionality is fragmented into units and
>> > the navigation
>> > links requires an advanced understanding about one can expect to find
>> in each
>> > unit : before reaching the reference page of a procedure you need to
>> > know its exact
>> > name or at least the unit is belongs to .
>>
>> In the next release, I hope to have a search engine included in the
>> docs.
>> I found one, written in FPC, so that is perfect ! (ioda or something)
>
> Great news !
>
> Any chances to have better navigation in the online HTML docs ?   I
> mean :  a better presentation of what the units contain , without
> being forced to click N times until getting to the list of
> "Procedures" or "Classes" .   As i was explaining :  finding items is
> painful unless you already know the unit .
 .
 .

Some time ago I started some kind of "unit categorization"
(http://wiki.freepascal.org/Unit_categorization) aiming to help with
finding the right unit for a particular task. Obviously, it's just a start
and doesn't include anything from FCL, packages, etc., but it may still
help new users to find their way around.

I'm not sure whether this found its way into the docs, though.

Tomas