[fpc-pascal] writing device driver using FPC

Alexey Pavluchenko pavluchenko at isp.kiev.ua
Thu Apr 5 12:54:50 CEST 2007

Hello Felipe,

Thursday, April 05, 2007, 11:14:24 AM, you wrote:

> What really doesn´t help is that the windows driver world is huge.
> really vast. There are dozens of different driver types, and some
> tipes only work on some versions of windows.

Well, not dozens. There are, basically:

user-mode drivers - conventional DLL's with specific interfaces. These
can be written in anything and compiled by anything, as long as
calling conventions are met.

Virtual device drivers (VxD) - kernel-mode LE modules used in Win9x.
History. Forget that these ever existed.

NT-style drivers (sys) - kernel-mode PE modules with some specific
sections and specific exported functions. History, but still will work
if you run them on Win2k and XP (should work on Win98 SE too). These
are the easiest kernel-mode drivers to write, so they are often used
for home-made hardware.

WDM drivers - basically NT-style drivers with yet even more specific
interfaces :) Invented to support plug-and-play, load-on-demand,
things like these.

That's all for now. But I believe they already introduced something
new in Vista.

--
Best regards,
 Alexey