[fpc-pascal] .NET FAQ

Adrian Maier adrian.maier at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 10:49:59 CEST 2006

On 9/29/06, Bisma Jayadi <bisma at brawijaya.ac.id> wrote:
> I know writing FPC port for .Net is far from easy. But the difficulty should
> be on compiler code side only.  On the user/app code, it shouldn't cause
> significant changes. Since Delphi and FPC has same language root, object
> pascal, I wonder why existing FPC apps can't be simply recompile on FPC/.Net?
> Of course, I never meant it'd work for EVERY kind of apps and codes, but it
> should work for most common apps.

Hello,
My understanding is that enhancing the compiler to generate code for .Net would
be only the first step.  Next, every single unit included with FPC
will have to be
re-implemented in .Net .
The effort is huge, and the maintainance could be a nightmare. Maybe
this is doable,
with some substantial sponsorship to support a team of full-time developers.
But it's not clear at all that the benefits would cover the resources spent ...

<not_serious_suggestion>
  By the way :  why dotnet and not java ?  At least java has been
around for a longer
  time, and there are compatible jdk's for more platforms ...  So we
wouldn't have to
  deal with differences like those between Mono and the .Net platform.
</not_serious_suggestion>

Cheers,
Adrian Maier