[fpc-pascal] Re: Threads executing in sequence instead of parallel

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 23:23:07 CEST 2006

On 28/09/06, Vincent Snijders <vsnijders at quicknet.nl> wrote:
> I know about this report:
> http://www.freepascal.org/mantis/view.php?id=1906
>
> Threading related, but not the same, as you are not using synchronize,
> are you?
>
> Vincent

Do you mean like below - which then means, I do use synchronize.  I
use synchronize to draw on the main form (running in the main thread).
 I don't get any lockups as that bug report says, but then I am
running under Ubuntu that uses Gnome desktop. Again, no such issues
under Windows.

TSortThread is the base class for my three different Sorting threads,
so they all use this function.

procedure TSortThread.VisualSwap(A, B, I, J: Integer);
begin
  FA := A;
  FB := B;
  FI := I;
  FJ := J;
  Synchronize(@DoVisualSwap);
end;

They never attached a sample application, so I can't try it on my
system to see if I get the same issues as they do, but as I stated, I
don't get lockups, only that the threads run in sequence - one after
the other.

What platform are you running on, Windows?

Regards,
  - Graeme -

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1