[fpc-pascal] AsciiZ confusion

afpTeam afpteam at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 1 00:14:40 CEST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Emson" <memsom at interalpha.co.uk>
To: "afpTeam" <urbansound at sbcglobal.net>; "FPC-Pascal users discussions"
<fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 2:57 PM
Subject: Re: [fpc-pascal] AsciiZ confusion

>>> As noted, the Delphi Program integrates a DLL stub which forces me to
>>> make calls using it's pre-defined "Variants Only" format.
>
> I'm not clear why you need to have a FPC DLL between a PB DLL and
> Delphi... this part makes no sense.
>
> If you need to, dynamically load the DLL. If you are exporting params
> compatible with FPC, they should also be compatible with Delphi.

The Delphi program is a canned application which makes provision for a stub
DLL, such as I wrote.  I have no access to the Delphi app's core
functionality.  The PB DLL is an externalized DLL as only part of the PB
program.  Therefore, the only way I know to share data between the two, is
to talk to the Stub DLL from a scripting engine within the Delphi program.
The Delphi App's authors create the calling conventions, i.e. all varients
from within the Delphi program, so again, I'm forced to use them.

The real question I guess, is whether I should be able to pass AsciiZ
directly through the DLL as I indicated, given the Varients are first set to
ascii strings, then asciiZ, then back to ascii strings as they return back
into Delphi, or will this level of type changing confuse FPC at runtime?

AFP

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0635-3, 08/31/2006
Tested on: 8/31/2006 6:14:41 PM