[fpc-pascal] Unistalling FPC (and reinstalling from svn)

Adrian Maier adrian.maier at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 09:59:08 CEST 2006

On 10/6/06, Jochem Berndsen <j.f.berndsen at student.tue.nl> wrote:
> On Friday 06 October 2006 10:49, Adrian Maier wrote:
> > I have a silly question :  which is the best way to uninstall FPC ?
> I don't know.
>
> > Also, after compiling FPC  with 'make build'  ,  if i execute 'make
> > install'  will it
> > copy everyting in  /usr/local   by default ?   Is the destination
> > directory configurable
> > somehow?
> Yes. You can choose the installation directory using
> make install INSTALL_PREFIX=/path/to/install
> (For example,
> make install INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local
> This will create bin/ and lib/ and other directories if they do not exist
> already.)

Indeed,     make install  INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local  worked like a charm.
I did not  delete anything , because apparently the 'make install'
target needs to
have the previous  fpc still installed (i haven't verified this
assumption well,  but after
deleting the old fpc :   'make install'  gave some errors and i had to
re-install the old fpc).
The newly compiled freepascal is the same version as the old one, so I
assume that
it simply replaced the files.

Perhaps it would be nice to have in the sources directory a README
file describing
how to compile and install from sources?  Many opensource projects  have such
a files included with the source files .

Thanks !
Adrian Maier