[fpc-pascal] .NET FAQ

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Oct 4 20:35:31 CEST 2006

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:

> On 10/4/06, Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
> > Your statement answers the question
> >  'what is the use of a Java port of Free Pascal'
> >
> > My statement is
> >  'There is no use for a language that runs in a VM, like Java or .NET'
> >
> > These 2 statements can peacefully coexist.
>
> Ummm ... I have doubts about that.
>
> Suppose a Java port of Free Pascal is developed. Then Pascal will be
> running on the Java VM. Now, if we apply your statement we can
> conclude that there is no use for Pascal.
>
> Maybe your statement would be more precise if it was:
>
> 'Software that runs in a VM, like Java or .NET are of inferior quality
> when comparated to native software'

I didn't say it was of inferior quality, although performance is an issue;

I just don't see the need for a VM.
On the run-time side, it is not needed if the OS is good. On the compile side
it is not needed if the compiler supports many CPUs. You need to compile the
VM anyway for any CPU you want support for, so why not compile the software
at once...

The effort remains the same, and you eliminate a layer on the end system.

But let's stop this thread. If someone wants to develop a Java or .NET backend
for FPC, he is free to do so... Regardless of my or your opinion of the
desirability or usability of such a backend.

Michael.