[fpc-pascal] Web site now translatable

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Tue Nov 21 13:57:21 CET 2006

Op Tue, 21 Nov 2006, schreef Michael Van Canneyt:

> On Tue, 21 Nov 2006, Tomas Hajny wrote:
>
> > Daniël Mantione wrote:

> > > Whatever you prefer. The database uses UTF-8, but I can configure the
> > > website generator to generate any encoding.
> >
> > Well, preferably the WWW server should accept the charset configured in
> > the browser...

If you want we can generate the pages in multiple encodings and use
the same content negotitiation we use for the language to serve it in the
right encoding.

> Nooooo,
> the browser should detect the charset sent by the server, and display it correctly
> :-)
>
> If the client can do it, let the client do it. Golden rule for writing
> robust servers.

Well, you can make good use of this facility. Imagine a Russian using a
system that cannot display Cyrillic. Such system could still request a
page in Russian, but also community that it doesn't accept Cyrillic. The
web server can then send a Roman transliteration of the page.

However, in practise I think we would be solving a problem that doesn't
exist, so no disagreement here.

Daniël