[fpc-pascal] how FPC expects string/interface/variant results?

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Wed Nov 1 14:38:49 CET 2006

On 01 Nov 2006, at 14:30, Alexandre Leclerc wrote:

> - Can you find out how FPC expects string/interface/variant results ?
>
> Is there documentation where I could get this information? I think it
> is about cpu registers, etc. (?)
>
> Also, I might ask, how does FPC expect parameters passing? And Methods
> parameter passing?

This depends on the used calling convention. Especially on i386 there
are many different ones. And from time to time this also changes to
fix compatibility or performance issues. There is no definite
documentation for this apart from the compiler source (which isn't
easy to read, in particular if you are not even sure about concepts
like cpu registers and how they can be used for parameter passing),
or compiling test programs and looking at the generated assembler
code (idem).

Jonas