[fpc-pascal] Internal linker status

Sasa Zeman public at szutils.net
Fri Mar 31 16:32:01 CEST 2006

> >> If you want to work with development code i think it is better to find
> >> out
> >> it yourself what is going wrong. For me it works on all development
> >> systems  that i use.
> The issue 4922 has nothing todo with the internal linker which is still
> under development and not ready for public use.

In previous quoted sentence you refer  not to use development code. The
problem with issue 4922 force using development code and that is all -
cascade bugs are expected using unstable releases. I suppose you are not
willing to point to code for solution 4922 in order to correct sources in
2.0.2 and use it.

As GNU linker is very problematic on Win32, it was reasonable step to test
internal linker when development code is using.

> > 143,872 Demo-GNU.exe // With GNU linker
> > 551,464 Demo-INT.exe // With internal linker

> Exactly another reason why it is not public. You are comparing different
> things here. Using the GNU linker with smartlinking and using the internal
> linker without smartlinking.

I comparing code produced with the same compiler parameters, except -Xi .
Perhaps -Xi in that release disabled or enabled some other parameter(s). Or
command "make clean all" did not clean all previous produced code. That is
not possible to be determinated at the moment

The fact is that after manual cleaning directory and using the latest SVN
release internal llinked worked, produced Lazarus executable using internal
linker (without using -Xi and deleted LD.exe) was 39MB. Stripping gaves 33MB
and  executing fails. It seems that strip utility removed critical executing
code from header.

Duration compiling complete Lazarus code is about 6 times worst than with
LD. Regarding reported problem using not only phisical memory, creating map
file spend most of the time. Since this is development release, after
correcting problem with using memory, disabling creating map file and
checking problem with mentioned problem with (possibly incorrect) executable
heeader, linker will probably be near to Delphi's.

Good lack.