[fpc-pascal] Object pascal a "Modern Language"

Matt Henley nwmatt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 18:01:30 CET 2006

I belong to a mailing list for a defunt open source chemical process
simulator (Sim42).  Members of the list are now showing interest in
restarting the effort.  It was originally written in python which
cause some speed issues.  Several of the list members (including me)
suggested freepascal and lazarus.  The gentleman spearheading the
effort sent the following and I would like to know what is the best
way to respond.  I do not know what features define a "modern
language" and would like to know what points to bring up.

"My personal objective is not just to put out a simulator, but a fast
and efficient simulator.  Furthermore, personally, I do not consider a
program portable if it is written in a language which very few can
understand.  A modern language such as any of the .NET languages will
meet the efficiency objective but portability remains an issue.  While
I do have the Visual Studio .NET and I am happy with it, I understand
that not everybody has it and it is not cheap.  I looked at the
Lazarus project and (at least at a first glance) it is indeed very
"Visual" and will likely do the job.  It will however, limit us to
Pascal which is not really a modern language.  For those of you who
are in favor of using Lazarus, can you assure the rest of us that
Pascal has been modernized? "

Thanks for any help
Matt Henley