[fpc-pascal] RE: findfirst and findnext on non accessible files

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Jun 29 09:57:03 CEST 2006

> Marco van de Voort wrote:
> >
> > (that is not really the problem, OS errorcodes can be hauled with
> > getlastoserror, which is errno on *nix)
>
> Well, it is a problem, because not returning the error code directly in
> return value violates SysUtils.FindFirst specification and most probably
> Delphi compatibility too.

Depends on what we are talking about. I was replying in the context of the
infinite symlink problem, which is a unix specific problem. If you are not,
I might have mixed up subthreads.

But in general findfirst should be ok, otoh it should mostly just report
success or fail, and not specify too much about the reasons, since that
would make findfirst possibily OS specific.

The whole "GLOB" sublevel is not that needed anymore anyway. It was
originally meant to avoid a (readdir) syscall per file read, but both
freebsd and linux now already buffer at the readdir level (and Darwin, since
it uses libc probably too)