[fpc-pascal] Nano-x

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Jul 20 11:54:58 CEST 2006

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006, Marco van de Voort wrote:

>> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006, Marco van de Voort wrote:
>>> (libdl,libgettext,libgcc), and to encapsulate libc errno access.
>>>
>>> There shouldn't be a {$linklib C or linklib gcc in any unit. _always_ via
>>> unit initc.
>>
>> If you really believe that:
>> I suggest you start working on the sources in SVN then, because there are
>> _a lot_ of them.
>>
>> But I don't think that it should be done like that...
>
> Because?

Because firstly I think that what initc does behind the scenes should not
be done in the first place, and secondly because the argument of the varying
library name you have countered yourself with your implementation of link
aliases.

{$Linklib C} does just that: it links to the C library, i.e. makes available
some additional symbols. Initc also does some redirection of 'errno' handling
(be it the C or pascal version), which is totally uncalled for if you for
example need only sprintf()...

It's a tough issue, and it's a matter of preference, I'd say, but personally,
I will not use initc as a rule...

Michael.