[fpc-pascal] Blackberry

Michael Preslar mike at lordlegacy.com
Wed Jul 5 17:54:42 CEST 2006

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry#Operating_system
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry#Hardware
>
>> A client of mine is wanting me to port some of our software to the
> Blackberry handheld. Being that its Pascal code, I'd prefer sticking to
> Another option is to use Midlet Pascal. It isn't developed since
> january, but is a great tool. It generates MIDP java bytecode from

First, I suppose I should say what project they want ported.. Remember
the bbs door game Legend of the Red Dragon? Aye, that. I'm the developer
(have been for the past 5.5 years, and thanks to FPC, Ive got a Win32
binary)..

Theyre wanting to expand into the hand held market. The suit in charge
has a Blackberry, and thats where that particular idea comes from.

Writing for WinCE could be a possibility, assuming it can do online
communications (I know nothing about hand helds.. My last hand held was
a Palm 3 that I toyed with for 2 days then shelved)

The hardest part for me, I think, will be getting the hardware. Call me
foolish, but I'm not buying a new piece of equipment to develop software
for someone else, since what theyre paying me doesnt make it worthwhile :)

But rewriting in Java bytecode for Blackberry scares me. Gameport has
made it very clear that the source cant be distributed in any form.. I
know there are java decompilers for PCs.. I'd be there are ones for
Blackberry as well.

Which makes me lean towards WinCE that much more.