[fpc-pascal] fpc & Lazarus with 64-bit

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 15:50:13 CEST 2006

On 7/3/06, J.L. Blom <jlblom at neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> course you can write programs using some editor but from the earliest
> (Borland) pascal on, the IDE was an invaluable tool.

IsnĀ“t is possible to run 32-bit software on your machine? I heard that
some amd 64-bits machines can acctually run 32-bit software some how
(has 2 processors, one 64 and one 32 or something like that). This way
you could install the compiler and the IDE for 32-bits! It would also
solve your question.

> My questions:
> 1. Can programs compiled on a 64-bit system run on a 32-bit system (or
> is there a setting for it).

This will require a cross-built. The first thing to do is find
cross-binutils suitable. I mean, as (the assembler), ld (the linker),
strip and other binutils that run on a 64-bits environment but
generate binaries for 32 bits.

Then you have to generate a cross-compiler (recompile the compiler to
do that), and integrate everything.

Instead, this would be instantaneously solved if your machine can run
32-bit software.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho