[fpc-pascal] fpc & Lazarus with 64-bit

J.L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Sun Jul 2 15:42:44 CEST 2006

Hi,
I recently retrieved fpc-pascal 2.0.2a from the Lazarus download site
together with Lazarus 0.9.16.
System: AMD64 1 Gb mem. sufficient disk space, Linux 2.6.17-1.2139_FC5.
My problems:
1.
Starting "fp" freezes the terminal window. When I do "fp &", the window
is accessible but the first keystroke stops fp.
"fpc hello" (as said in the manual) doesn't work (neither from root nor
from a user-terminal).
"fpc helloworld" when in the helloworld directory works.
2. (I don't know if this is the right place)
Installing Lazarus gives:
"error: Failed dependencies:libgdk_pixbuf.so.2 is needed by
lazarus-0.9.16-0.i386"
However "locate libgdk_pixbuf.so.2" gives:
"/usr/lib64/libgdk_pixbuf.so.2
/usr/lib64/libgdk_pixbuf.so.2.0.0"
I did this with the fpc retrieved from the lazarus site.
TAfter removing fpc completely I installed fpc 2.0.2-4.fc5 (Fedora site)
which of course caused lazarus to refuse to install.
My conclusions:
1. fpc will compile programs on a 64-bit system.
2. The IDE is not tuned to a 64-bit system (strange however for a fedora
64-bit system)
3. The Lazarus rpm is not rigged for the 64-bit fpc.
My questions:
1. Can programs compiled on a 64-bit system run on a 32-bit system (or
is there a setting for it).
2. Does anybody have a solution as I'm a Pascal programmer from way back
(started in 1985 with Borland Pascal for the Amstrad (does anybody
remember this machine??)) and it is my opinion that Pascal is one of the
best designed programming languages and fpc (I have tested it last year
on a 32-bit system) a very good superset of the good old BPC 7.0.
Therefore I would like to use it with Lazarus as a (sub?)set of Delphi.
Thanks in advance
Joep